Students admitted to the major must fulfill the following requirements to complete the major:
- Complete a minimum of 33 hours of course work in COMM (24 hours above and beyond COMM 1210, 1300, and 1600)
- 18 of these hours must be upper division (3000 level or higher)
- Only courses with grades of C- or better count toward the major
- The GPA in COMM must be a 2.00 to graduate (C- is 1.70)
- COMM 1210, 1300, 1600
- Two of the following:
- COMM 2360 — Campaigns and Revolutions
- COMM 2400 — Discourse, Culture & Identities (satisfies Core requirement for Human Diversity)
- COMM 2500 — Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 2600 — Organizational Communication
- COMM 3210, Human Communication Theory
- COMM 3300, Rhetorical Foundations of Communication
- At least one Methods course: COMM 3740, 3750, or 3760
- At least one Senior Seminar: COMM 4220, 4300, 4400, 4510, 4600 or 4610
- Two additional upper division electives (3000- or 4000-level courses, including senior seminars): 3000 or 4000-level courses with special seminar topics may be taken no more than twice, each time with different topics.
Eligible students interested in graduating with departmental honors should contact the department’s honors coordinator as soon as possible.
The department encourages its majors to take related courses in: business; English, ethnic studies; journalism and mass communication; linguistics; philosophy; political science; sociology; speech, language, and hearing sciences; and theatre and dance.
Up to 6 hours of internship (COMM 4930) and 8 hours of independent study (COMM 4840) may be taken. These are upper division elective hours and do not count toward the major.