Majors must fulfill all requirements for graduation set forth by the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Majors must complete a minimum of 33 semester hours of Communication courses, with a grade of C- or better, and at least 18 of these hours must be at the upper-division level (3000-4000 level courses). The cumulative GPA in Communication must be at least 2.0. All required courses for the major must be completed with a grade of C- or better, and none of the required courses in the major may be taken for a Pass/Fail grade.
All of the following courses:
- COMM 1210 — Perspectives on Human Communication
- COMM 1300 — Public Speaking
- COMM 1600 — Group Interaction
Two of the following courses:
- COMM 2360 — Campaigns and Revolutions
- COMM 2400 — Discourse, Culture, and Identities
- COMM 2500 — Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 2600 — Organizational Communication
Both theoretical/foundation courses:
- COMM 3210 — Human Communication Theory
- COMM 3300 — Rhetorical Foundations of Communication
One research methods course:
- COMM 3740 — Qualitative Research Methods
- COMM 3750 — Quantitative Research Methods
- COMM 3760 — Rhetorical Criticism
One Senior Seminar:
- COMM 4220 — Functions of Communication
- COMM 4300 — Rhetoric
- COMM 4510 — Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 4600 — Organizational Communication
- COMM 4610 — Communication Studies of Science & Technology
Two additional Upper Division COMM courses (3000 or 4000 level courses). Internship and Independent Study credits cannot be applied to this requirement.
Eligible students interested in graduating with departmental honors should contact the department’s honors coordinator as soon as possible.
The department encourages its majors to take related courses in: business; English, ethnic studies; journalism and mass communication; linguistics; philosophy; political science; sociology; speech, language, and hearing sciences; and theatre and dance.
Up to 6 hours of internship (COMM 4930) and 8 hours of independent study (COMM 4840/4950) may be taken. These are upper division elective hours and do not count toward the major.